Friday, March 21, 2014

My New Ambition

I started to write a very long post about youth conference but I couldn't upload my pictures. Don't fear, it is coming. That was a great weekend and when I do finally write you'll be like, "Oh, wow, totally worth the wait, you guys had a blast!" I'm pretty sure that's what you'll say.

So I toy around with what I want to do with my life, kind of all the time. Last summer I was very excited about the prospect of getting a Masters in Public Health. I found a program and read up on the field and thought that it was a perfect fit for me. And then I looked at the job prospects . . . which are hardly any different from the ones I have now with a B.S. in Psychology and less than if I earned a MSW. So that took the wind out of my sails a bit.

But now I have a NEW excitement. Are you ready?

While I was in downward dog on Tuesday, it came to me. I want to become a yoga instructor.

If you're like Mary, you just made a face, like "Psh, what? why?"

But here's the thing: I think I would love it. I think I would be good at it. I've practiced yoga for several years and I've enjoyed its benefits; I would love to share that with others. What better way to ensure a lifetime devotion to physical, mental, and spiritual health than to choose a career that depended on it? I could be the kind of teacher that I wish I had.

(Yes, I did sign up for a class. My current teacher talks too much and thinks she's funny. There is no "funny" in yoga.)

So what this would mean is 200 hours of training. And I won't lie, it's a financial racket I hope to get in on someday. Not nearly as expensive as a masters degree but a bite nonetheless.

Can we really put a cost on personal fulfillment though? (Bryce, do not answer.)



I will keep you posted on my latest flight of fancy. Namaste.


No comments: