Monday, November 18, 2013

Tyce's Honor Choir Concert

Now that I have Mary home with me all day I've obviously found it harder to get myself to the computer to blog. Another reason is that I can only upload pictures to the wonky laptop (which is not broken forever, as we had feared; it just won't close) and what is a post without pictures?

So I have a lot of happenings to post but this is one of the highlights from October.

Did I tell you that he not only made the all-district choir (and that the Clark County School District is the 5th largest in the nation) but that he made section leader? That's like first chair, highest score, best audition of them all. He's a Bass 2, the lowest voice part in choir. I know you're skeptical but I'm telling you, his voice is "Swing Lo Sweet Chariot" deep and very, very good.

Basic kids at Honor Choir rehearsal: Rachael O., Maddy S., Emily D., Kody M., Autumn D., Jenny B., Keara H., Sydney M., James E., Tyce, Christina O., Jordan M., Dane S.

Basic High School had about 13 kids who made it. Their director at Basic, Mr. Duff, is a miracle worker and a saint. What did Bryce call him? A rock star? I don't know but he has every desirable quality you would want in a mentor and the kids absolutely adore him. At the last school concert the principal got up at the end and complimented Mr. Duff up and down, extolling his teaching, the students, and the excellence he gets from them. It was more than a congratulatory "Good job"--it was "Thank you for honoring us with your gift, we don't know how we got so lucky to have you". It was the most heart-felt praise I had ever heard and I wanted to shout "Amen!" a bunch of times. When you have a teacher like that it is a rare gift.

The Honor Choir concert was superb. The talent was amazing. Tyce even got to sing with the other 7 section leaders a special number: Camp Town Races. It was an adorable barber shop quartet-style number and they did great.

Honor Choir concert at Ham Hall at UNLV.

I am so glad that Tyce worked hard to make the choir and that he had a wonderful experience performing. I am really proud of him.




No comments: